Janelle my princess is growing up! She is very loving and kindhearted.

Janelle my princess is growing up! She is very loving and kindhearted.
This is a product of health,happiness & wholeness: Beautiful smile!

Janiah is growing up! I will be seeing her for the first time on her third birthday.

Janiah is growing up! I will be seeing her for the first time on her third birthday.
This is a product of health, happiness, and wholeness. Check out her pose!

Remembering the wisdom of the past and updating it.

When we deny one aspect of life, sooner or later we notice the price, personally and culturally, of our blindness. The Eastern cultures have exclusively mastered the inner life, but this has been accompanied by material poverty. We in the West have exclusively mastered the outer life but ended up with spiritual poverty. In both instances, achievements in one direction led to suffering in the other. That is why the East is now witnessing a rise in materialism, and the West is now experiencing a rising interest in the mind and spirit. In each case the forgotten half of the human experience eventually reasserts itself as our life force continue to seek a balance of inner and outer that alone can lead to sustained health, happiness, and wholeness.
We do not need to invent something new; we merely need to remember the wisdom of the past and update it for our time.

Reference:
Dascher S, Elliot. Integral Health: The Path to Human Flourishing. (pp. 25, 31). CA:Basic Health Publication, 2006

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Unit 5 Experience of the subtle mind practice and the connection of spiritual wellness to mind/body connection.

1. Compare and contrast the Loving Kindness exercise and the Subtle mind exercise. Explain your experience including the benefits, frustrations etc.

I took this exercise serious from the very beginning. I did not take the loving kindness exercise serious at the beginning, but it did not take long for me to relax. I had a lot going on then and I have a lot going on now. I worked eight
nights with one day off and did not realize the mental strain until I started my homework. We lost two staff and my altruism kicked in. I could not function mentally so I decided to do this exercise. I did not sense a deep relaxation at the beginning of my breathing. I actually felt tired, and my shoulders and neck felt heavy because I was probably focusing on my breathing too firmly. The ocean sound felt as if was moving too fast for me. I stopped the Cd, waited for a few minutes and pressed play again and my intention to relax took over. This time I breathed slower and longer and that made an overall difference. I breathe very slow and long breath and went into a much deeper state of relaxation. All of a sudden an excruciating noise filled my eardrums. The exercise Cd was not working. It sounded as if the ocean became mad and the waves were crashing against the shore. I was disappointed.
I read it from the book and it was allright. I felt a bit more relax and lighter with this exercise from the beginning of the Cd. I feel if I was able to listen to the whole track, it would have taken me into the full lightness and ease of my mind. I contribute that to the rising and falling of the breaths. I do not feel as if I had too much distraction going on. I was able to stay focused. We do have the ability to make our bodies comfortable and should implement it into our lives daily.

2. Discuss the connection of the spiritual wellness to mental and physical wellness. Explain how the connection is manifested in your personal life. The mind body and spirit are always impacting one another. It is simply not possible to fully know or reach the subtler levels of the mind/body or spiritual body without a profound, hardy, and sustained health. The connection of the spiritual wellness to mental and physical wellness is a gradual process of development which results in stability. As we reach toward the higher level of consciousness and progressively experience the more subtle aspects of the mind/body, we finally get a glimpse of the spiritual body. If the spiritual aspect is not developed, it will disturb the mental and physical aspects. Our time is greater as we perceive the interconnection of the body, mind, and spirit. An ease and lightness enters our life and cleanse our mind and body. In this manner, biological development progressively extends our ability to prevent mental distress and physical illness, enhances recovery from disease, and promotes integral health, happiness, and wholeness. A healthy inner life leads to a healthy outer life. This is the connection of the spiritual wellness to mental and physical wellness (Dacher, p.84).

The connection is manifested in my personal life by my experience of the full range and interconnectedness of human biology as it moves from a solid anatomical body to a subtle/mind body to an immaterial spiritual body. My mind, body, and spirit are always impacting one another other as a whole. I have constancy in my life because of my gradual process of development through contemplative practices. If my spiritual wellness is not developed, it will disturb my mental and physical wellness. My time is greater as I perceive the interconnection of the body, mind, and spirit. An ease and lightness enters my life and cleanse my mind and body. The development of my biological life has progressively extended my ability to prevent mental suffering and physical disease, improve my recovery from disease, and promotes my integral health, happiness, and wholeness. My healthy inner life leads to my healthy outer life. This is how the connection of my spiritual wellness to mental and physical wellness is manifesting in my life.

3 comments:

  1. Hello Jan,

    Thanks for sharing your experience, sorry about the inconviences you experienced from these exercises. I was able to listen to it but my concentration and my ability to stay focused was very trying...after much effort I decided to put it away and come back to it later. Everything I tried resulted in complete failure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jan,

    I had a similar experience with the subtle mind exercise with the scratchy noise that interrupted the serene sounds of ocean movement. But, like you, I read the exercise in the book to improvise and tried the exercise again from rote memorization. When I was able to reach the subtle mind, I allowed all mental activity to come and go with ease and I felt blessed and at peace. With the loving kindness exercise, I was afraid not to cling onto some mental movement and it seemed to be far more advanced than the subtle mind exercise. I kept better focus with the subtle mind exercise because I incorporated it into my physical cardio work out. I practiced some yoga stances and stretching techniques, balanced exercises on my yoga ball, ran on the tread mill, and then tried both loving kindness and subtle mind exercises afterwards. It helped me to focus better following a physical workout and I was able to experience the subtle mind for a few minutes. I think your perspective of the mind/body and spirit are sound with reasonable expectations in your journey to reach your full potential of human flourishing. All aspects are encompassing and important to feeling that interconnectedness with the human race. I encourage you to continue the practices and remain optimistic of all the health and spiritual benefits that your inner body will provide for you. I will be doing the same!

    Sincerely, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed your post - I thought that it was quite interesting. I especially liked your comments about the interconnectedness of the mind, body & spirit.

    Excellent thoughts!

    srluke (aka Carol Kent)

    ReplyDelete