Janelle my princess is growing up! She is very loving and kindhearted.

Janelle my princess is growing up! She is very loving and kindhearted.
This is a product of health,happiness & wholeness: Beautiful smile!

Janiah is growing up! I will be seeing her for the first time on her third birthday.

Janiah is growing up! I will be seeing her for the first time on her third birthday.
This is a product of health, happiness, and wholeness. Check out her pose!

Remembering the wisdom of the past and updating it.

When we deny one aspect of life, sooner or later we notice the price, personally and culturally, of our blindness. The Eastern cultures have exclusively mastered the inner life, but this has been accompanied by material poverty. We in the West have exclusively mastered the outer life but ended up with spiritual poverty. In both instances, achievements in one direction led to suffering in the other. That is why the East is now witnessing a rise in materialism, and the West is now experiencing a rising interest in the mind and spirit. In each case the forgotten half of the human experience eventually reasserts itself as our life force continue to seek a balance of inner and outer that alone can lead to sustained health, happiness, and wholeness.
We do not need to invent something new; we merely need to remember the wisdom of the past and update it for our time.

Reference:
Dascher S, Elliot. Integral Health: The Path to Human Flourishing. (pp. 25, 31). CA:Basic Health Publication, 2006

Saturday, January 30, 2010

UNIT 8 BLOG
1. Review the exercises and practice sessions you have completed in this course. (Loving Kindness, Subtle mind, Visualization, meditation etc.) Choose two practices that you have determined to be most beneficial. How can you implement these practices in your personal life to foster “mental fitness”? Provide specific examples.
When I reviewed the exercises and practice sessions I have completed in this course, it was extremely difficult for me to choose only two practices that I determined to be most beneficial.


The first exercise I chose was: The subtle mind practice. The subtle mind practice took me from the outer (body), to inner (mind), to innermost (spirit). When we deny one aspect of life, sooner or later we notice the price, personally and culturally, of our blindness. This taught me not to forget any areas of the human experience, body, mind, and spirit, as a whole. It will present itself again and demand recognition of it rights as our life force continues to seek balance of inner and outer alone that can lead to sustained health, happiness, and wholeness (Dacher, p. 25).
I can implement the subtle mind practice into my personal life to foster “mental fitness” by using the model of mental workout. Mental workout implies the same process that I use to exercise and work out my muscles, can be used to work out specific areas of my brain and it can result in structural change. I will schedule a certain amount of time each day, preferably in the early morning when my mind is more likely to be still before I begin my day by day activities. I will set aside a place in my home that is private, comfortable, and is very quiet.


Using the breath as my focal point, I can either focus on the rising and falling of my chest in the breathing cycle or the movement of the breath in and out of my nostrils with each inhalation and exhalation. I will begin by bringing my attention to my focal point. Staring with 10 deep in breath and out breaths I will settle into the natural ease of my mind and body, breathing comfortably while maintaining firm concentration on my chosen focal point.
When thoughts, feelings, sensations, or images distract my attention, I will notice them and gently return my attention to my breath. I will watch y mind carefully. If it escapes from the focus on my breath, I will bring it right back. As my mind responds and its mental activity quiets down, I will gradually ease up on my grip on the breath and pause here for several minutes and practice this focused concentration technique.
When my mind is less apt to grasp on mental movements, I will grip on my breath. When my mind is fully stabilized in stillness, I can slowly release my grip and shift my attention from the breathing cycle to the stillness itself which becomes my focal point. If my mind begins to wander, I will return to my breath until it resettles then I may ease up once again, shift my attention to the stillness and abide in the stillness as I continue my inquiry. I will release my mind and allow it to float free and experience everything with clarity and vividness, but attach to nothing.
For a few moments each day I can stop, look inward, and rest in this inner home. In this way I will continuously train my mind to re-center itself in its innermost essence. When finished, I will slowly return to the time and space of the room, giving myself a few moments to consider what I have learned. Through mental training I will gain access to the more subtle levels of the mind. My fully developed mind cultivates the qualities of human flourishing which are health, happiness, and wholeness. As I continue to develop there will come a time when I will no longer have to cultivate the attitude through practice, loving-kindness will reveal itself as a natural and effortless practice (Dacher, p. 75-77).



The second exercise I chose was: A Visualization: Meeting Asclepius. This visualization brought much serenity to my life. I was calmer at handling situations because I have been able to observe instead of reacting. It was a great experience getting to know my guide, inner healer, and gift giver. I feel extremely healthy and happy in my body, mind, and spirit. I felt great knowing that the wise person, my subtle mind, was already a part of me, as my inner guidance and is always there to guide and support me into integral health is a wonderful feeling. This makes me feel stronger and better able to practice in the world, like a faucet giving water first to myself, and then to others.

I can implement the visualization: Meeting Asclepius into my personal life to foster “mental fitness” by making time to visit with my inner healer. I will find a comfortable seat, close my eyes, and visualize the image of a very wise loving man or woman. I will choose an individual, alive, or passed on, whom I respect and honor and with whom I feel a special sense of connection or create one. I will stabilize the image in front of me and notice all the details about the person as I commune with them and feel their presence. As I reflect on their qualities and characteristics, their peace, wisdom, compassion, love, and joy, their image will become my focal point and deepen.
As the image stabilizes in my mind, I will allow a strong beam of white light to form at their head and then allow it to enter my mind, bathing and purifying my thoughts, and feelings. Taking all the time I need, I will slowly transform my mind into their mind and take all the time I need for this transformation to fully evolve.
Next, I will allow another beam of light to form and emanate from their throat, and allow their energy to bathe and purify my speech, and take on the qualities of loving, wise, and sensitive speech, so it can become the speech of this wise person. I will take my time so this transformation takes place. As I experience my mind, voice, and heart, I will take on the qualities of this wise person. I will become this person.

Next, I will allow the entire image of this wise person to dissolve into a bright white light, and allow it to enter my body through my forehead Slowly, it will permeate my entire being, from my cells, to my organs, so that my body can become this wise person. I will think about what it feels like. I will think about what it will be like to have the wisdom and support of this wise and inner healer assisting me in my integral journey. For the next few moments, I will experience what it is like to be such a person, to be able to experience myself as a wise and loving healer in body, mind, and speech.
I have learned that this wise and caring person is me. Asclepius is none other than the wise essence of my heart and mind. I will remain a few moments in this natural and noble essence. When I feel complete, I will slowly return to the time and place of the room, remembering that my ever present inner healer will support and guide me toward integral health (Dacher, pp.56-57).
On a daily basis, the mental training is transforming my mind by reducing disturbing emotions that cause anger, hatred, fear, worry, confusion, and doubt while enhancing positive emotions such as patience, loving kindness, openness, acceptance, and happiness. When I am around people who yell and scream, I gently tell them to calm down. The mental transformation, acting through mind/body connection, provides enhanced resistance to mental distress and physical disease, expands my healing capacities and promotes well being. I am gaining access to the more subtle levels of the mind, which cultivates the qualities of human flourishing, health, happiness, and wholeness. (Dacher, p.63).

Reference :
Dascher S, Elliot. Integral Health: The Path to Human Flourishing. CA: Basic Health Publication, 2006

4 comments:

  1. Wow! What an awesome post. I loved the pictures too. Do you think you will be using these practices in you work? I encourage my clients to do deep breathing and visualization but now I have specific tools to share with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you received such a wonderful experience from these two exercises. I really enjoyed these two exercises as well. They bring on very positive thoughts and feelings. I love the scenic pictures; they can be used during the visualization exercise. Not only are they beautiful, but they also add to the calmness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Esther,
    Please give me some feedback on my comment to your blog. Girl, it was very inspiring.
    I am glad that you like the pictures. I use my blogs for the adolescents so therefore, I try to be specific with the steps that they can learn. I am going to record the words with music in the background. They are showing a change in their state. They are becoming more proactive than reactive. The field is large, but the workers are few.....We must be about the Fathers' business.
    Esther, you seem to be a very exciting person. Keep up the good work!!!! To God be the glory!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed your post - it was really awesome! I enjoyed how you described your experience with the exercises and how you are able to make them work for you. I too found those two exercises to be beneficial as well, and from what I've read quite a few of us seem to feel the same way!

    ReplyDelete